By WLBT Digital | November 17, 2020 at 12:31 PM CST – Updated November 17 at 12:31 PM
DURANT, Miss. (WLBT) – The City of Durant has issued a Boil-Water Alert for anyone who receives their drinking water from Holmes County’s water supply.
Officials notified the Mississippi State Department of Health of a system-wide pressure loss due to one or more line breaks.
The city says when a distribution system loses pressure, contaminants can siphon back into the water.
Public health officials consider any system that loses pressure contaminated until tests prove otherwise.
Here’s a checklist for safe water use:
- Do not drink tap water while the water system is under a boil water advisory.
- Do not drink water from fountains in park, public or private buildings that receive water from the affected system.
- Do not use ice unless it has been made with boiled water. Freezing will not necessarily kill harmful bacteria.
- Do not use tap water to make drinks, juices or fountain soft drinks.
- Wash your dishes in boiled water, or use paper plates for the next few days.
- Wash your fruits and vegetables with boiled or bottled water since they may have been exposed to affected water from grocery store sprayers.
- Wash your hands and bathe as usual. Bathing is safe as long as no water is swallowed.
- Brush your teeth with boiled or bottled water.
- Cook with tap water if the food will be boiled for at least one minute.
We will update this story when the water is safe to drink.
Copyright 2020 WLBT. All rights reserved.